Friday, November 21, 2008

Why to use podcasts in the classroom?

While completing our assignment for this week, I became intrigued with podcasts and their use in the classroom. While in this program at Waynesburg, one of my favorite tools to use was Audacity, which is an open source software used to record audio. I have done a little bit with Audacity, including making a photo story. While looking for other uses of Audacity and podcasts, I came across the following website: http://www.wtvi.com/TEKS/05_06_articles/classroom-audio-podcasting.html. This website was intriguing for the content included. It described podcasts, which was just another way to break it down. However, what I enjoyed most about it was the list of benefits of using podcasts in the classroom.

The lists of benefits consisted of ten reasons why to incorporate podcasts in the classroom. The first reason caught my eye and had me continue. The first benefit was that it is cheap. This is an attention-getter for me because I lack the funds and the resources in my school. Therefore, I sometimes become too ambitious and need to search for another, free resource. So, that reason is enough to keep looking for me. Another benefit that I keyed in on was the fact that podcasting can "invite a global audience." With all the endless possibilities we have nowadays, teachers need to incorporate more than just the little area where the kids feel comfortable. Therefore, I think having a global audience invites my opportunities to a class. Just like having a global audience, podcasting invites many chances to education. Podcasting can make lessons interesting as well as allow the students to be creative, which is valued in today's education.

Overall, this website was very resourceful in how and why I should include podcasting in my classroom. I plan on searching through the site to see if it addresses other Internet and technology-related tools. I also look forward to utilizing podcasting, especially in an English class. It will be utilized for many reasons, including as a tool to practice proper speaking skills.

2 comments:

Travis said...

Steph,

The website you found was very beneficial for educators. It gives a total breakdown of what a podcast is and ways on how podcasting can provide opportunities for students to develop lifelong skills. The list of benefits allows readers to feel comfortable with using podcasts, but like you said “that it is cheap” really makes it stand out. The great part of technology as shown in this podcast, allows students to interact with not just children in their classroom, but world wide. The students get motivated to share their ideas and get feedback from other children their age. This form of collaboration is what more classrooms need to be implementing. Overall, your article review was very well put and now I am motivated to start having my students create their own podcasts.

EStrauch said...

Steph,

I found that article to be very useful as well. Sometimes we need to read about how valuable our resources are before we start implementing them into our classroom. One of the benefits that really stuck out with me was that it isn't a privacy concern. Nowadays, we need to be more and more careful about putting anything online for various reasons. I think podcasts are great for just that reason alone-they are not risky to use! Those again were great guidelines for all teachers!