Thursday, November 27, 2008

Audio Files in the Curriculum

While looking at different articles, I stumbled upon the following site, which may have been more useful fo rlast week's assignment: http://www.newhorizons.org/strategies/technology/bratina.htm. The article is titled "Listen Up!: Using Audio Files in the Curriculum." This artcle discussed different reasons for using audio files and the benefits that go along with them. For this article, the authors focused on three reasons to utilize audio files: greeting messages, administrative tips, and explanations of content. I have heard of utilizing audio files for greetings; however, I never consider the use of them for an online class. A professor could utilize audio tools and programs, such as Audacity, to allow students to put a voice with screen names. The article focused on several useful reasons that connected to online classes, even down to keeping the students updated. After being in this program, I have a lot of experience with online classes, and I am thankful for that because it presents different opportunities to the students. However, I never took into consideration the resources that could enhance online classes.

Continuing with the article, it rejogged my memory in the fact that there are numerous types of learners. I am not an auditory or visual learner; I do not need the guides as much. However, I realized that audio files can be very useful for auditory learners. This feature could be for distance learning, or it could even be for the regular classroom and being more of an aide for the students. Therefore, audio files enhance the curriculum in numerous ways for the students.

Overall, the article opened my eyes to things that I take for advantage at times. Also, I enjoyed the article because creating and utilizing audio files can be integrating in my classroom.

2 comments:

Travis said...

Steph,

I thought this article was very interesting and your review was great. It is unique how there are many useful reasons to use audio files. I thought the greeting message was unique because it would allow, like you said, to add your voice. I also think it would be great to use audio files for students who are blind for example; they are able to listen to the lesson and complete the activities by responding back with questions on the lesson. Overall, your review was very detailed and I am looking forward to utilizing audio files into my classroom for future lessons.

TamraJ said...

Steph,
I never really considered how much audio files could improve online classes either. I think that it is difficult sometimes if you are an audio learner to excel in an online class. I think that this would be a great way to explain projects to your students or to explain a key concept that you are wanting to get across. I know that I am a visual learner and when I listen to only audio files it is very difficult for me to connect to the content. I would think that this would be the same for a audio learner. I think that if the content could be explained in a typed format as well as an audio format it would meet the needs of both types of learners. The audio files you created would also be a great way for the students to review the concepts that are being taught. You could have them stored somewhere on your classrooms’ homepage and the students could refer to them for help throughout the class. So the time and effort put into creating the audio files would always be worth it because you could use them and refer back to them not only throughout the year, but if you are teaching the class again you could utilize them in the future.